Sunday, February 21, 2010

Valentines Closet Opening and Cool Hair

We spent Valentines Day at a very special party. My Natalie loves ALL parties, but she especially loves Princess Alexa Foundation parties...they are so special. This party was to unveil the foundation's newest closet at Dallas' NEW Ronald McDonald House.
This is my friend Shelly posing in front of the closet. It turned out SO beautiful! Shelly's son Blake passed away from an immune system disorder several years ago, check out the orb right above her.
This is Zoe the clown. My kids actually met her at a Hereos for Children Valentine's dinner the year before. Funny that they would meet a year later. Zoe is an extra special clown and likes to volunteer her time to help special kids. I thought it would be funny to include this random clown statement that Natalie made out of the blue last month, “Clowns are not really clowns, they are normal people. They just put that stuff on their face to look like clowns, but they wash it off and take of their costume and get in their car and go home.”
I SO love this picture!
I really like this picture. Natalie got a brochure to show Cinderella to make sure she knew about her friend Alexa and why we were there.

Yesterday, Natalie surprsied me. I was in the car with her waiting for David and she was eating some princess graham crackers. I asked her for one and stuck my hand back. After a minute there was no cookie so I asked her again. I ended up asking three times before she heard me. I asked her what she was so busy thinking about and without even pausing she said, "Oh, I was thinking about me and Alexa up in heaven having a tea party." Funny what an effect Alexa has had on Natalie, they would've been great friends.

Princess Tiana is the newest princess in the PAF clan. After we left the party, Natalie was chattering away about what her favorite parts of the party was and she told me, "Oh Mom, I loved Princess Tiana, she was so UNEXPECTED!"
Natalie with her favorite princesses...the ones she "knows." This would've been a perfect picture if my camera hadn't been on the wrong setting, darn!

It was a great party. Very special. I loved the middle school kids from Haltom Middle School that came and sang. They sang some songs from Aladdin, including my favorite special song. I loved it. I reveled in that. I loved seeing all the children staying at the house get a costume and light up. I was so touched by this little six month old baby with an NG tube. I talked to her Mom and felt her incredible strenght. It reminded me of what it was like to be in the middle of it all. I felt something special talking to her, it is hard to describe, but it really touched me. I felt so grateful too for how well Natalie is doing.

I was reminded of what a cool place Ronald McDonald house is. We never needed to stay there, but in Tucson there was a Ronald McDonald room on our oncology floor. Sometimes, that was the only place I would venture to for weeks at a time...just to stretch my legs. I didn't want to go far, but it always meant a lot to see a smiling face in there and an encouraging word. I was saved one day getting white cheese from there when I couldn't get any from the cafeteria (Those who has followed Nat's story might remember stories about white cheese and steroid cravings.--whew!). Ronald McDonald house is a special place and it was a special day; and pretty amazing to be in the position to be able to give back and help other kids going through things we went through with Natalie.

After coming home, Natalie spent the day in her princess dress and of course she posed for me.
These are her princess poses, oh so proper.

And here is silly Natalie showing off all her Natalie-ness.

***
Who knew The Colonel would like curling!
Natalie took this funny picture of The Colonel. I love his little wrinkled nose and his cute hair.

Last year we got this cool caricture of Stephen and Natalie. The guy doing the caricture commented that Stephen had really great hair...like rock star hair. We've joked and talked about that since then. It is true, he really has great hair and we have fun with it. He gets lots of compliments on it.
The other day his Daddy was doing his hair and it just struck me as being so cute.
David always does his hair especially cute. I love this shot, he always has the kids walk away when he sprays the hairspray so they don't have to breath it. So cute.

Speaking of hair...
I love this shot and of me and my girl with our matching blue sparkly headbands. I got this cool hair extension and I've been having fun with that.
Natalie wanted to do her cousin Emma's hair yesterday when I was watching them. I remember wanting to do other people's hair as a little girl, in fact that was a major reason I wanted a little sister...to do her hair and dress her up.
I helped Natalie with the curling part. Miss Emma is a cutie.
And, speaking of hair and The Colonel...he is a TRUE little brother...whenever Natalie wears her hair like this he can't resist grabbing the pigtails:)

1 comment:

Team Russi said...

It looks like the party was a great success! Alexa would have loved seeing the kids in their costumes. It's awesome that Natalie is already "giving back". I don't think it's ever to early to start teaching our children gratitude and the need to help others. Good for you!