Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Trying to Learn Spanish...Again

This video is when Natalie is somewhere around 18 months old. Check out how she knows her body parts in spanish, but please ignore my pronunciation...remember I DON'T speak spanish (even though David teases me because "learn spanish" has been on my TO DO list for 14 years...I actually write it down too).

I was attempting to teach Natalie some spanish when she was little with the hopes that David would take over when he saw that I had reached my limit. It was really important to me and an oppourtunity that I did not want to waste when she was little. When she got sick it fell to the bottom of our priorities.

Today we started Natalie in a Spanish immersion preschool two days a week. We considered doing it in the fall, but had concerns about the schedule of the classes and how it matched up with David's work schedule, our line up of trips, and a little bit of concern about the flu. In general we both felt uneasy and not quite right about it...something we have learned to listen to. On Tuesday we decided to take a tour of this preschool that still had an opening. Both David and I had a good feeling about it and felt comfortable and excited and so we signed her up to start the next day. There are only about five kids in her class and five or six younger kids in the class next door, so it is small and will be a nice fit.

Natalie was SO excited for her first day today. She did look a little disappointed when she asked if the school bus would pick her up. She did great and told me they spoke a little English (I'm sure because she is brand new). I asked if she understood and she said yes. I was a little worried that she might come home a little frustrated because she couldn't understand everything, but that wasn't the case. She loved it. She told me she learned "El Gato" means cat. She has pretty good pronunciation, but sometimes she says A Gato instead. Natalie already knows how to count to ten in Spanish fairly well and all evening she kept saying Gracias to me...and so VERY cutely with all her Natalie spunk, flair, and sweetness I might add.


***
These two are the best of friends. They were waiting for me to get things together for church on Sunday and broke into impromtu dancing...they were dressed for it so it was perfect!

Monday we saw the Chipmunk movie, which the kids loved. Stephen kept saying "it's funny, it's funny." Natalie adored the first one and this one was no different.

We also rode the carousel....

and checked out the Disney Store...

She's a cute little shopper, moments before she was singing while she was looking but I missed that.

4 comments:

Team Russi said...

Your girl is a smart one. She'll be fluent in no time. I wonder if you should move up "learn Spanish" on your list. I hope Natalie continues to enjoy school.

Matt, Karin, Sienna, Sadie & Tanner said...

She is so smart! That is so neat that she is learning spanish.

Abigail said...

I can't wait to hear her talk in spanish to Erika!! :o)

The A Team said...

the spanish preschool is a great idea. ryan has spanish once a week but i don't know how much he's learning. after 2 years it's just a few songs and stuff.