Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Alexa's Playground


I wrote this three years ago. I think loyalty is one of the traits I most admire.  This reminds me of how I feel about my friend.

"One of my favorite movies is the movie Tombstone- there are some memorable moments in the interaction of Doc Holliday and the bad guy that are humorous.  I like when he says, "I'm your buttercup."  But what really stands out to me is the friendship between two very tough men.  There is the scene when the bad guy asks Doc Holliday why he was willing to give his life to come take the place of Wyatt Earp.  Doc Holliday's response was, "he's my friend."  To which the bad guy said, "SO---I have lots of friends."  Doc Holliday answered, "I don't."  That moment of utter loyalty and sacrifice for his friend- is so touching and one of the best moments in any movie I have ever seen." 

I am so grateful for the friendship I have with my friend Crys.  It was a friendship that was meant to be.  One that means the world to me and will forever.  A woman I love dearly.  

On what would have been Alexa's 10th birthday we opened her playground.  We knew it would be the last hoorah for The Princess Alexa Foundation.  It was a beautiful and touching day and the culmination of many years of work.  I can't express in words how grateful I am to have been part of such a beautiful organization that has brought happiness to so many.  And I am especially grateful for the wonderful board members and volunteers that have inspired me and made me better.  

Whenever I contemplate the experiences we went through with Natalie, I don't have to think very long before wonderful memories of caring and loving people crowd out the memories of difficult times.  I will forever be grateful that my memories are infused with so much happiness because of the kindness of others.  I hope I will always remember to take time to add kindness and happiness to others lives because it is one of the most powerful things in life.  I am grateful to my friend Crys for taking a chance on me and giving me the opportunity to help.  I remember when I attended the first board meeting all those years ago and I was asked to fill out an information sheet.  It asked me to list my skills...as I sat there drawing a blank and feeling inadequate for the role I remember writing, "None, but my heart."  My beautiful friend Crys and Princess Alexa dancing around in heaven...I hope you know you will ALWAYS have my heart!!





The playground!

This is Stephen walking up behind Alexa's Brother, Zachary.  These two have been friends since they were babies.  Stephen tapped him on the shoulder and when Z turned around his reaction was a swift and expressive bear hug and an excited exclamation, STEVE!!!"  Friendship is powerful!











































This was posted last week on the foundations facebook page:
Well...it is time to say goodbye. Over the last six years, we have gifted thousands of children with dress up packages, given away thousands more to children at our hospital parties, reworked an entire playroom, established dress up closets at all the local DFW children's hospitals and supporting facilities and built a playground for a school in desperate need so that hundreds of children can play every day. I am so proud to have given back to the world in the name of my little sweet daughter Alexa. This was not my foundation. It was hers. This was her gift! And now as I close her work, I do so with a proud smile that we were blessed with loving supporters and volunteers who made it all happen. Thank you! So, I will continue to do her work.... for The Compassionate Friends...guiding others who are freshly grieved over the loss of their own beloved children. Alexa- I will always work in your memory, to carry on your name in a caring atmosphere of love. Good-bye to The Princess Alexa Foundation, but never to Princess Alexa.

My favorite picture from build day!!!!
My friend. I love you dearly!!!

No comments: