Sunday, December 5, 2010

Prayers and Thanksgiving

Several weeks ago I told Natalie that this year at ICE the theme was going to be a Charlie Brown Christmas. Going to see the display of ICE at the Gaylord Texas has become a tradition of ours since we moved to Texas. The next day I noticed that Natalie began to include "that we can have fun going to see ICE" in her prayers. She prayed for that almost every day until we went.

Last week she started praying that we could have the "Christmas Spirit" in our home and some days she has just prayed for the "Holy Spirit." When we were decorating for Christmas she came and whispered in my ear that when she sees ornaments or decorations of baby Jesus it "touches my heart." Hearing her say such sweet things always touches this Mommy's heart.

David's family spent a week with us for Thanksgiving this year. We had a MARVELOUS time together. It was close and cosy and the house was full of laughter, playing, and smiles.

Since being married David and I have spent the majority of Thanksgiving's with his family. As we finished our Thanksgiving dinner, we began reminiscing about past Thanksgivings. We tried to remember the fun and interesting things that happened at each one.

In 2004, everyone in both our families came for Natalie's birth in October, so no one could make it back for a second visit in November. So for Thanksgiving that year we went to David's sister Laura's inlaws house; they didn't live too far away. Her mother-in-law asked me to make a recipe she had for pretzel jello and after I liked it so much she gave me the recipe. It is delicious and became a favorite of everyones. I have made it every Thanksgiving and Christmas since then. My sister in law is now divorced so I get a lot of flack for making that recipe and bringing back bad memories:) That Thanksgiving was an easy one to remember since there are several funny stories about that day. Another reason it is easy to remember is that I was a new Mother.

The only picture I took that day was this one of my little princess. It is one of my favorites of her as a baby. As I looked for it, I came across this other favorite baby picture of her around that same time. She was just itty bitty and she fell asleep in my arms with her amrs folded as if she was praying; I honestly did not pose her. I always thought it was the sweetest picture.


Thanksgiving 2004

As we reminisced more David's sister brought up the Thanksgiving they spent with us in 2006. She mentioned how she remembered that Natalie just cried and cried all day. She was miserable from steroids, her GI troubles, and vomiting. It was a hard day. As I remembered that day, I thought of how I held her at the table and my always happy girl just cried and was so miserable.




This month we have been writing some of the things we are grateful for on our back sliding door with some fun markers made for glass. The kids have enjoyed it. It has made me focus even more on something that is never far from my mind--How THANKFUL I am thankful for my family. They are truly my greatest happiness in life. And how especially THANKFUL I am for Natalie's health. Natalie went through such difficult experiences and it was hard for us to watch her go through it. As I look at the picture of newborn Natalie with her arms folded as if she was praying it helps me realize how many of my prayers for Natalie have been answered. They might not have come as quickly as I would have liked, but Natalie is truly thriving and happy. I am SO thankful for this and for BOTH of my precious children.

These are the pictures of our Thanksgiving week together. We truly had the BEST time doing so many fun things.


***


And these next pictures are especially for Auntie Becky and Grandma. I used the pictures to fill in the gaps in our memories:) I had fun looking over them and remembering other great years.

Thanksgiving 2009

I just posted a link to last years blog for this one. This was our Burraston-Paulsen/Hamilton Thanksgiving with everyone there! Lots of fun!


Thanksgiving 2008-

Grandma B & Auntie Laura Thanksgiving. Paulsens home in the cold:)





We really missed you guys this year!


Thanksgiving 2007-

Celebrating newborn Stephen with Paulsens, Grandma B, and Auntie Kathy.




I love this picture, we always seem to have this same moment. How many people does it take to toast the marshmellows? We had this very same scene this year; David, me, and Grandma checking the yams!!





Thanksgiving 2006-

Just celebrating with the Paulsens. Auntie Laura, Kathy, & Grandma in OKC. After a hard Thanksgiving day Natalie felt a bit better and enjoyed the butterfly exhibit and cousins.







Thanksgiving 2005-

Another combined Burraston-Paulsen/Hamilton Thanksgiving. The year my parents lived in Tucson.












Thanksgiving 2004-

With Auntie Laura & Kathy.



Thanksgiving 2003-

Actually this is December. No one came of Thanksiving because everyone came in December for David's graduation from U of A. Another Burraston-Paulsen/Hamilton time.






Actual Thanksgiving 2003-

With Laura, Kathy, and Ami & Jason.





Thanksgiving 2002-

I always remember this as the year of blueberry pie Melinda.








Ok, this picture I just inluded because David's birthday is always right before Thanksgiving and when I saw this I just had to share it- doesn't he look young:)





2 comments:

The A Team said...

wow, what a great post!! i loved all the flashbacks and the hot redhead from 2003. :D
you're so good at compiling memories.

Tammy said...

Haha, what is the sappy friend for!!