Friday, March 18, 2011

Human Spirit


Last week after the earthquake in Japan, I was listening to the news and saw the first reports of the problems at the nuclear power plant. They weren't sure the extent of the problems yet, but it made me begin to cry and I thought of this book. I think I cried in part from being sad to see the devestation of the earthquake and the loss of life from the tsunami. But I told David the other reason I was crying was how bad I felt for these people to have any type of nuclear issue in their country. It would be terrible and sad to have problems with a nuclear reactor anywhere; but I thought of the sensitivity that might exist for a people who had witnessed the terrible devestation of it--even if a lot of the generation that experienced it first hand is old or passed on.

When I was growing up I liked to read books that my sister calls "social realism" or "bleeding hearts books." I wasn't so much drawn to reading about heart-wrenching situations as I was at glimpsing the amazing, overcoming nature of the human spirit. I have always had a strict NO re-reading book policy. This book, Sadoko and the Thousand Paper Cranes was the one exception. I got this book from a book fair when I was a seven or eight and I read it MANY times. In fact, I can remember reading it to groups of friends and kids that I babysat several times. When I saw the news reports on Japan, this book was what popped into my head. I tried to find my copy; with its well worn edges and my name written in little kid scrawl. I couldn't find it. I think I have put it somewhere "safe!"


When I was packing to move to Texas, I found my copy of this book on my shelf and it brought me to unexpected and immediate tears. Here is the synopsis of the book:


Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes is a non-fiction children's book written by American author Eleanor Coerr and published in 1977. This true story is of a girl, Sadako Sasaki, who lived in Hiroshima at the time of the atomic bombing by the United States. She developed leukemia from the radiation and spent her time in a nursing home creating origami (folded paper) cranes in hope of making a thousand of them. She was inspired to do so by the Japanese saying that one who created a thousand origami cranes would then be granted a wish. Her wish was simply to live. However, she managed to fold only 644 cranes before she became too weak to fold any more, and died shortly after. Her friends and family helped finish her dream by folding the rest of the cranes, which were buried with Sadako.




Maybe you can imagine why finding this book from my childhood would have a big impact on me. Isn't it interesting that this particular book should've been so important to me growing up? And this girl had all the attributes of my own daughter and countless other children I have known and known of; who have battled difficult diseases. Sadoko's wish was to live and she truly embraced life and had so much grace and beauty. I remember the day I found this on my book shelf; I was interested to know if this is where I learned about leukemia. I am sure this book was my first exposure to the illness. I wondered if this book was how I knew the first night I was told Natalie's bone marrow wasn't working; that it could be leukemia--even without anyone saying it to me. It was interesting to quickly browse through the book and read that no, that wasn't how I knew about bone marrow--this book was more about heart and a fighting spirit. Turns out that was probably a more important base of knowledge than any science based facts I might have learned over the years.

I hope the situation with the nuclear plants will be contained as many of the experts I have heard predict, but I was grateful for the reminder of this important book and its influence in my life. And as I have watched the news I have been grateful again for the amazing nature of the human spirit; for the people who help one another in difficult situations, for the people who become heros, and for the rest of us who care about them all.

When I was 14, our family hosted an exchange student from Japan for the summer. Her name was Tomoko. I have fond memories of David and I taking her to go caving and the scared look on her face as we drove on a very bumpy road to get there and of taking her on a drive through the mountains in a Jeep and her poor legs getting burned. We had fun taking her around and doing things; she didn't speak much English so she didn't know what she was in for some of that time. She was the sweetest girl. My sister has kept in touch with her and contacted her after the earthquake last week. It was so interesting reading her email; I thought I would share it.


Thanks once again, for worrying about me and Japan. This earthquake was a traumatic experience. Even Tokyo where is not close to the epicenter, buildings shook badly and furniture was destroyed by the earthquake. When it happened, I was on my way home from a short trip with my mom. After the earthquake, though I was driving on a freeway, a rest area lost electrical power and a freeway was closed to traffic. So I got off the freeway, and then I got caught in a huge traffic jam. It took about 11 hours to get home. My husband was in his office. As all trains stopped in the Tokyo area, he walked the long distance home about for 3 hours. Though it's so hard to walk for 3 hours, I heard that his friend took time to get home about 10 hours.(he walked 25km!!) The friend saied that there were many kind people when he walking, they gave foods and drinks and they were provided their toilet, even shoes !!( because most women walked in high heels) for the people walking to ther home. I was so glad to hear that, and I really felt the importance of giving each other help.And I'm lucky that my family and relatives and all friends are alive. There are many people who lose their family and friend in the most suffered area. Though I can't do anything against the earthquake and tsunami, and for the sufferers, I and people who living in the Tokyo area try to have calm judgment and action, and try to save on electricity. Maybe, you heard the news about a nuclear plant explosion. But please do not worry about it. Japan is OK! ... I hope so.Anyway, the main problems now I have is no rice, no bread, no eggs, no milk, no instant(foods) in the supermarket ! Amazing!!Every morning I think "well, what do I cook for breakfast today!" It's tough for housewife, isn't it. :-D Now,I'm baking a banana cake! Phew, for tomorrow... made it !


Pretty sweet, huh? I liked how she talked about the importance of helping other people. Sometimes that is one of the greatest lessons we learn when we go through difficult things. That is what my next blog post will be about:)

1 comment:

Kirsten and Brian... said...

I love this post...what an amazing people...the Japanese. I wish the news would report stories like this...humanize what they are going through.

I am def going to read the book you mentioned too. This will be my second chemo week. I had Amy Howard shave my head last week because Sterling pulled a big chunk out in his hands...guess it was ready to fall out. I don't mind being bald...it's nice for a change to not have to fix my hair. Spencer was upset at first. After he said his prayers that night, he said, "Mom, I like your fuzzy haircut." The next morning, he said, "You are like Mulan. She cut her air to go to battle."

Thx for all of your encouraging emails. We are doing so well..considering. I feel so blessed every day.