Sunday, December 4, 2011

Alcatraz

 The day we went out to Alcatraz was such a foggy and dreary day.  I think it might be like that most days in San Fransisco but I'm not sure.  This picture was taken at 10:30 in the morning and it was still so foggy you could barely see in front of you.  I don't think the fog didn't even start burning off until almost 1 pm and late in the very late afternoon when it was almost evening again there was still a layer of fog around the Golden Gate Bridge.  That was very pretty, but the heavier morning fog seemed a perfect match for our trip to Alcatraz.  It was so cold and windy and I felt like I could never get warm.  It would've been terrible to be in prison there.  One thing I found very interesting is that when Alcatraz was originally built (as a fort) the soldiers who built it mixed the cement with sea water--that caused the early break down of the cement and even resulted in the one escape from Alcatraz.  Seeing the old structures was interesting and seemed so fitting with the fog- but I was surprised learning that there were beautiful gardens and families (of the guards) that lived on the island as well. 
 









 















This is a view of alcatraz from a boat ride we took around the bay.  It looks so dreary! 

I thought this was very interesting.

No comments: