Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Artwork

I always seem to be in the mood for some kind of art project at this time of year. Usually it is painting something, often ornaments. I like projects and I like to paint- I am not good at either one, but at least painting little things is forgiving and turns out pretty cute.
Natalie had to disguise a turkey as a project for school and she chose to make it a mermaid. That seemed to be a perfect fit for our little "Texas Mermaid."
Stephen's turned out cute too- but not quite as cute as his smile:)

In Novemeber we had a great time at the MAW art party. The normal painting was set aside for some bigger projects for wish night--all were right up Natalie's alley. We might have been the last people to leave, she loved every minute of it.
Stephen was not so good at the beads, but he LOVED doing this mosaic.
These glass balls were the biggest hit of all. Natalie made several of them and I think we might have to go find some to make for our tree here at home.
Posing with Jordan.


The same day as the art party, we got together with our little group of Leukemia Survivors that were in the calendar with us. It is something we started doing a few months back and we are all loving it. This time was extra special. One of the Mom's just found out about a little two year old that was diagnosed with Leukemia.
The family just recently moved here. We put a care package together of all the things that we know are good for the hospital and to help when you don't feel well. Then the girls decided to make craft projects to add to the package for little Bella. It was a special experience for all of us. We talked about our memories of the first cancer kids we met that gave us something special and how meaningful those items were to us. For us it was a little bumble bee bag from a little nine year old girl that invited Natalie and I to come to her room the night Natalie was diagnosed. She had both a port and central line and she showed us both to help us make our decision about which one to pick. I'll never forget that. The item wasn't so much special to begin with, it just became special because it created a memory of the first little ambassador that soothed our hearts as we entered the scary world of pediatric cancer. I remember feeling something special meeting this sweet girl and being so touched by her care, that is what is unforgettable.

Autographing a copy of the calendar for Bella.
And of course much time was spent playing...

Hugs!
***
So this year I pulled out a box of wooden crafts that I have been lugging around for about 14 or 15 years. They were from a sidewalk clearance sale at the job David and I worked at together when we were dating as teenagers. I started working there right after my 15th birthday. I think I got these that fall, I painted some and 'saved' the rest. It felt so good to pull these out and let my kids paint them. I can't believe I lugged them around and stored them for SO long:) We didn't finish them all- so we will have to have at least one more big paint fest before Christmas. I am motivated to be done with them:)
Of course any time the paint comes out we have a lot of fun.
Stephen doesn't have quite the attention span as Natalie when it comes to crafts, but he still enjoys it and he actually did great. Look at his concentration. I get tired just keeping up with his paint requests--he is in the layering stage right now.





It's a little hard to see, but Stephen got purple paint on his eye and it looked like a black eye.

I loved her finished work.

***
Natalie got invited to another little MAW art event for the Fort Worth office. She got to go to a pottery place and make a mug. She of course loved it.
I loved her mug, she wrote WISH on it. It was so cute I wished I could keep it.

But instead we stayed later and made a project of our own. I LOVE pottery, I have some special memories of painting pottery figurines and a christmas boot with my Mom. I am excited to take Natalie back some time and make our own memories like that.
Ever since Natalie was a newborn I have a thing for handprints. It started with a bad experience trying to make one of those impression kits of newborn Natalie's hand. It didn't go well and since then I haven't been able to let it go. I was excited to do my kids handprints on a plate, I have seen several friends that have these and have been envious of them.
The part I am most excited about is displaying and using it. I think I have always loved big platters and imagine pasta (probably because I always try to stay away from it) looking so pretty and being so much fun on a big platter. David's Dad has a lot of big platters in his kitchen above the cabinets. I love them, but don't necessarily love the mexican style. I have wanted to do something similiar with a different spin for a long time and I think this may be my starting point. It might be just what my sad cabinets need to spruce them up. In Arizona I had the flower garlands from our wedding trellis above the cabinets. It was really pretty, but after ten years I needed a change- plus they just didn't look good with the current oak cabinets I have. I know I am too sentimental, but putting handprints something just makes me crazy about it.


No comments: