Tuesday, July 5, 2011

4th of July- 100% Perfect!!

We couldn't have had a more perfect celebration, even if it was a day early. We love going to the firework show in Southlake and love the music and festivities. It is becoming our Texas 4th tradition.

Stephen has a shirt that says 100% perfect 10% of the time. It is about true with a little boy:) Well, we had that 100% perfect kind of a night. In every single way!! We didn't have to remind him or get after him for a single thing all evening long- that is truly a feat for a three year old boy!! And he was oozing cuteness- we couldn't get enough!!
The kids were SO proud of these flags they got in preparation for the 4th and proudly waved them throughout the evening!
The Colonel took a nap and slept while we had an early, calm dinner focused on our Natalie. We love when he wakes up after a nap while we are eating. He is so calm and snuggly and the way he focuses on his food and eats is the cutest thing in the world. We all just watched him and doted on him. I can't get enough of how cute he is when he pours on his favorite soy sauce.
Getting there so early to eat also got us an awesome parking spot and less time in the heat!
This guy is becoming the traditional 'must have photo' for the 4th!
But the thing the kiddos can't get enough of each year is this clown!! He is fantastic- so funny!! They will stand there and watch him forever and both of them are such good, respectful audience members without any prompting from us.

The kids were watching the clown, but David and I couldn't get enough of watching how cute they were being--especially how cute they were to each other. They randomly put their arms around each other several times as they watched the show--maybe just to make sure the other was ok since there was a crowd. Is there a better sight for parents??


Concentrating so hard on his artwork!

I think this is the most focused and detailed he has ever been with a picture.
It has lots on there!!

I think my favorite moment was right before the fireworks started. We found our seats and David told me he'd be right back. I thought he was just checking to make sure we had the best spot. A few minutes later he came back with light up swords for the kids--they had both seen them but neither one had begged or even so much as asked for one. Probably the reason they got them! When they saw their Daddy approaching with the swords, they both ran to him in excitement and he scooped them up in a big hug--definetely my favorite moment.

We had a perfect view close to the music, but not so close it was too loud. They played a perfect mix of music- happy, upbeat, moving, and patriotic. I loved it. I loved holding my kids close and watching their amazement at the show.

In addition to showing the kids Princess Bride (several times I might add) recently, David has also been showing the kids the Star Wars movies. They have loved them and over the last few days I keep seeing them using their swords as lightsavers and talking about "skywalker" as Natalie calls him and Darth Vader. In fact they have been waiting to see what happens to the guy that got frozen--and just got to see the last one today with Daddy. Natalie so cutely told me the entire story of the ending- love listening to her tell a story.

The 100% perfect night didn't end with leaving--who knew a drive home in after firework traffic could be so great. Natalie fell asleep and we had a chance to enjoy our little guy. He was truly hilarious as he made up very interesting lists for us-we were just dying. Yes, a 100% perfect night!!!!


On the actual 4th, David had to work but he got off in time to catch another firework show. I don't think you can watch too many fireworks. We decided to go out and watch them over the lake; we have never done that before and it was a huge treat. It was so relaxing and beautiful. So low-key with the same feeling of watching fireworks as a kid- all about the fireworks! I loved the light glistening off the lake too. Funny, we could see three other big shows in other cities further away going on at the same time- there was nothing to block the view.






The 4th of July has always been one of my favorite holidays--mostly I LOVE the fireworks. I have since I can remember. Interesting; but I can still remember watching fireworks one year when I was about Stephen's age--it seemed like the entire neighborhood gathered at one house that had the best view. I loved the backdrop of the mountains and I can still remember the grass, lawnchairs, and the "old People" whose home it was. I LOVE old people and as a little girl this was especially true. Maybe that is one reason I remember it so well.

The 4th of July and Christmas are my two favorite holidays- I love the lights at Christmas and the fireworks with the 4th. Also I am a sucker for patriotic music- singing those songs as a little girl are still vivid in my mind--I have always been emotional and those songs impacted me a lot even back then. When I was a little girl I used to love to swing--one thing I loved to do was close my eyes and turn my face to the sun as I swung. I loved the feeling of freedom and the wind rushing on my face. I also liked the warmth of the sun, but the actual reason I did that was because it would make light swirl behind my closed eyes. I know it is goofy--but I loved to do that. I guess there has always been something for me with the lights:)

No comments: