Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Lets Play Music

Natalie has been taking music classes since the fall in a program called Lets Play Music. It is an amazing program that starts off with music theory and ear training for the first year. Next year will be more of that AND she will start on the piano! And the third year will be more piano--all of this is in a group setting and is done in a fun way! Natalie has always loved music and loves to go around singing and making up little songs; it has been fun to see the little songs that she makes up now with new beats and things that she has learned in class. Natalie has LOVED her music class and is SO excited to start playing the piano in the fall. Last night was her music recital, it was so fun to see her up there showing off what she has learned.

This is a video of a solo that Natalie did on the bells. When her teacher grabs her hand it is because Natalie was confused because there is a part where she is supposed to hit the floor and there isn't a spot to do that with all the other bells on the benches.


I love this video here, my favorite part is her little voice saying the word 'audiation.' So cute!!!

There were a ton of other cute parts and the music was SO fun! What a fun recital.

I asked Natalie before it started if she was nervous--of course her answer was no--this girl was born to perform.


This was their puppet show- they all had different parts that they silently performed actions to when they heard certain phrases of the song on a classical piece--it was so cool. This was one of her favorite things from class this semester. She was so cute when she got assigned the role of the trumpet; she told me it was hard because it was too heavy for her. But she kept doing it and I asked her last week if it was still hard and guess what--she got stronger! No longer hard! That is what I have learned the past few months too...

Ok, so this next video I am SO excited to share. This video is here to make Grandma B cry!!!


Are you shocked Grandma?

David and I have been taking piano lessons the last several months together and it has been an amazing experience. David has been keeping it a secret so he could surprise his Mom. I think he wanted to wait and show her in person--but this video is just to good to not share so he agreed that this was an ok surprise.

And who knew David was such a performer?? He had so much fun putting this little costume together to go with his song- something no one else did but the crowd loved it and so did I. He was a bit disappointed that he messed up in places he has never messed up on before and that he wasn't able to get over the nerves quite enough to jam out with his usual confidence--but AMAZING non the less!!


This video is my piece. I actually am having a little bit of a hard time posting it and watching it because I hate seeing myself talk. But, even though I messed up way more than I wanted and I was shaking like a leaf--I am still so proud that I was able to keep going. Not very long ago I would freak out and not be able to recover when I would make a mistake.

Our recital was called "Music Makes the Difference" and I have had an amazing experience these last 15 weeks- going from not being able to play even chopsticks and having no real experience with music--to being able to play a song that is at a third year level. I can tell you that involved a LOT of stretching and growing for me. There were thing I honestly could not do and thought I would never be able to do--things I honestly felt I did not have enough brain power to do at the same time as something else. There were things my fingers simply were NOT able to do and I thought would be impossible since I literally could not do them--but guess what--I learned that I could if I kept trying and I was amazed at how quickly I progressed and got stronger and my brain got better at doing it all. I am so excited to keep going.


Aren't these fun pictures- look at this Led Zepplin baby grand Steinway Limited Edition--what a beautiful piano.


2 comments:

Marcy said...

When does the concert tour begin? :)

Becky said...

That is awesome! Sneaky secret piano lessons? wow. You both amaze me!