Sunday, October 14, 2012

Natalie's Baptism











As soon as Natalie turned seven, she started telling everyone she was almost eight and when she turned eight she was going to be baptized.  She has been SO SO excited for this day.  It's funny, but these big days end up being really special in my mind too.  Kind of like her starting Kindergarten.  Milestones.  Things I wondered if she would reach.  Our beautiful, healthy, happy, thriving girl!!  It was a wonderful day!!

Natalie picked her dress out when we were on vacation in Utah in August, and I know she felt SO pretty in it. 
All of our family let me know they planned on being here for her special day.  Normally the baptisms are done on the first Saturday of the month after a child's birthday.  David's family always comes for Thanksgiving every year, so initially we were trying to figure out a way to make it happen that week since they couldn't make such a long trip twice in such a short period of time.  Thanksgiving just wasn't working out for my Dad's work schedule.  My parents had two weeks set aside to go to Europe for the first time in October.  My Dad told me he didn't have a good feeling about going to Europe--and when I checked it turns out the baptisms for October was moved to the second Saturday because of the Conference schedule--which happened to be Natalie's actual birthday, coincided with my Dad's time off, and David's sisters kids had a long weekend from school.  It seemed meant to be.

And it was...I felt that SO strongly that morning.  All of those things falling into place was meant to be.  Natalie's birthday also coincides with her first day of chemo all those years ago.  Her baptism day was symbolic--a day celebrated for her birth and then her physical re-rebirth---one of the greatest blessings of our lives--now was a day of spiritual re-birth.  After the baptism, there is a confirmation that includes a blessing.  David spoke of it so eloquently--and I was a mess of tears.  The feeling in the room was beautiful and amazing.  It was something I will never forget. 

No comments: