When I told Natalie we were going to the circus, she was excited of course, and then she started talking about when she went to the Make-A-Wish photo shoot for wish night. She was asked to take part in this wish night fundraiser. She got to dress up as a tight tope walker and she just loved it. Check out the website, it is adorable. Once it loads up, you can click on Natalie and it will take you to a page that has some quotes she made about what MAW means to her. She had the cutest comment, she always says the funniest things.
Natalie was SO funny too. She was watching the AMAZING bendy girl, you could see the amazement in her eyes, and then she turned to me and said, "Mom, I need to practice THAT at home!!" A little later, after watching a lot of cool things, she turned to me and said, "Mom, I want to work at the circus when I grow up. Maybe I can teach them how to TALK and play ball." I just started chuckling, how funny is it that she picked one of her greatest talents as something she could teach at the circus.
On Saturday, we went to an amazing performance of Disney on Ice. I thoguht it was better than last year. Stephen was a little sleepy and snuggly and it was perfect. Natalie squealed with excitement and was literally bouncing up and down in her seat when it started. We all LOVED it. Stephen loved the bad guys (he is always talking about bad guys) and he also LOVED, LOVED, LOVED Mickey Mouse. Natalie and I loved all the princesses and the entire wishing story line.
They also played the song from Lilo and Stitch that is so special to me. I will never forget the day I was watching that movie with Natalie, not long after she got diagnosed, she was in pain and had been for weeks and weeks. There is a scene where he says, "there is no better cure for a hard day than a couple of choice waves..." I promised Natalie then that we would get through this together and one day things would be better and we would be on the beach in Hawaii...no more hospitals. I grasped onto that HOPE at that moment.
This is the song while they surf, it is the song they played on Saturday. Often times, people talk about the cancer journey as being a roller coaster ride. I love that this song talks about a "hawiaan roller coaster ride." On Saturday there were several people on my mind that are still going through the cancer roller coaster ride and are facing moments when the ground feels like it is coming out from under them, they were on my mind as I thought back to times I felt that way. I will ALWAYS love the words to this song, read it and I think you will see why.
Aloha e aloha e
'Ano 'ai ke aloha e
Aloha ae aloha e
A nu ay ki aloha e
There's no place I'd rather be
Then on my surfboard out at sea
Lingering in the ocean blue
And If I had one wish come true
I'd surf till the sun sets
Beyond the horizon
A wiki wiki mai lohi lohi
Lawe mai i ko papa he'e nalu
Flyin by on the Hawaiian roller coaster ride
A wiki wiki mai lohi lohi
La we mai iko papa he na lu
Pi'i na nalu la lahalaha
O ka moana hanupanupa
Lalala i kala hanahana
Me ke kai hoene i ka pu'e one
Helehele mai kakou e
Hawaiian roller coaster ride
There's no place I'd rather be
Than on the seashore dry, wet free
On golden sand is where I lay
And if I only had my way
I'd play til the sun sets
Beyond the horizon
Lalala i kala hanahana
Me ke kai hoene i ka pu'e one
It's time to try the Hawaiian Roller coaster ride
Hang loose, hang ten, howzit, shake a shaka
No worry, no fear, ain't no biggie braddah
Cuttin' in, cuttin' up, cuttin' back, cuttin' out
Frontside, backside, goofy footed, wipe out
Looking for the wipeout
Let's get jumpin', surf's up and pumpin'
Coastin' with the motion of the ocean
Whirlpools swirling, cascading, twirling
Hawaiian roller coaster ride
There's no place I'd rather be
Then on my surfboard out at sea
Lingering in the ocean blue
And if I had one wish come true
I'd surf till the sun sets
Beyond the horizon
A wiki wiki mai lohi lohi
Lawe mai i ko papa he'e nalu
Flyin by on the Hawaiian roller coaster ride
A wiki wiki mai lohi lohi
La we mai iko papa he na lu
Pi'i na nalu la lahalaha
O ka moana hanupanupa
Lalala i kala hanahana
Me ke kai hoene i ka pu'e one
Helehele mai kakou e
Hawaiian roller coaster ride
I'd play till the sun sets. I love that. I can remember when my Natalie felt too terrible and was in too much pain to play. And now she can play and play and I will never forget to be thankful for that.
No comments:
Post a Comment