Friday, April 30, 2010

Dia De Los Ninos, Alexa, and Kites

Natalie's spanish preschool had a "Dia De Los Ninos" celebration yesterday. Even though it wasn't her normal school day she got to come for the party. It is a day to celebrate the kids and let them have fun. I loved watching how excited Natalie was to see her friends and introduce them to me. As soon as she ran up, she was surrounded by her two favorite friends who started looking through her purse. One friend grabbed her little powder puff and started to pretend to put makeup on Natalie's cheeks, it was the cutest thing. I heard her tell Natalie, "Natalie, I'm going to be a princess just like you!"
I love these shots. She had such a ball doing this race. Look how happy they all are.

Even Stephen got to come and enjoy the party. He had a great time too.
You can't have a celebration without an amazing pinata. They actually had one for the boys too. Pretty fun!

I thought it was interesting that the "Dia De Los Ninos" was on Alexa's birthday. At the party I saw a butterfly that kept landing on children's arms while they were playing. They were all having so much fun that they didn't even notice, but I noticed and thought of Alexa.
Natalie and Stephen talking about Alexa and admiring how their present for Alexa's 6th Birthday turned out. Natalie has been talking about Alexa all week and her "remembries" of her.
As soon as she woke up yesterday she climbed into bed with us to snuggle and without saying anything she blew kisses up to Alexa in heaven.
While Stephen ran around like a true boy, Natalie and I sat and talked about her feelings and how she felt being there. It is interesting to see how one so young understands and deals with loss. She talked about her feelings to me and she had to touch each item there and try to imagine who brought it and attach an emotion to it. She also talked about how Snow White is taking care of Alexa in heaven; that is something she told me very soon after Alexa passed away. She knows it is pretend, but I think it makes her happy to think that. It is very sweet. She also decided she has to kiss Alexa's picture to say goodbye (and I do too) AND we had to sing Happy Birthday to Alexa. This picture was taken as we were walking back to the car; Natalie stopped and said, "Mom, I bet this is how Alexa feels!"

Last night Natalie was showing me her ballerina pose and then dancing to her ballerina music box that she got at the ballet last month. We had just finished with a little room organizing touch-ups and she was in the mood to enjoy her special music. Stephen was funny when he saw Natalie as Tinkerbell, he recognized her but said, "Natalie you can't fly!"



***
Daddy's Little Helper.

I had a hard day this week and to make me feel better, David got some kites and took us to the park. We have been wanting to fly kites for a while, plus he knows that being outside always makes me happy.
Somehow, we chose the ONLY night there wasn't a bit of wind in Texas.
That didn't stop Stephen from having fun and keeping busy while we tried to get those kites to go up.
Natalie was SO excited and no wind and no flying kite didn't seem to matter. She was ALL smiles anyway.
And that was just what I needed, to be with my "happy family."
That is what Natalie used to call our family when she wasn't quite two, "happy family." I happened to be browsing through some pictures last night and saw this one. I had forgotten about it. These are some of the pictures we made and had hanging on the wall during her five week hospital stay prior to getting diagnosed. You can see the pic of our family and how I wrote her quote on there. You can also see that I have NO artistic ability:)

No comments: